In the 11th Century, ex votos were incorporated into the Church. The premise of the Catholic ex voto is the vow, tin a moment of great hardship, to give public thanks to a particular Saint if he/she intervenes. The ex voto, in turn, is the concrete testimonial of that vow’s fulfillment. But ex votos are also offered in thanksgiving for unexpected miracles, in which case they function as public affirmations of God’s constant powerful presence in the lives of the faithful: To communicate it to others, to celebrate it. Ex votos are a touching expression of faith, an invisible thread that links humanity to God.
As a small, woman-owned business, Sacred at Heart was founded to bring this sacred tradition to life. Our ex votos are lovingly made by hand of tin alloy and stamped with symbols of Christian/Catholic faith in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and in India. They are imperfect, just like their predecessors, as they are stamped by hand.
Ways to use your ex voto:
- As a gift of gratitude to a loved one
- As a container for a gift, note, or memento
- As an outward symbol of faith in your home
- To add to a home altar as an expression of devotion
- In the Catholic tradition, to place in a church or altar as gratitude to God for a blessing or miracle received, a prayer answered
If you have any questions, please reach out to us on Instagram or by email: hello at sacredatheart.com.